Commonwealth Home Support Program
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is an entry-level home help program for older people who need some help with daily tasks to live independently at home. The aim of the CHSP is to help older people live as independently as possible — with a focus on working with you, rather than doing for you.
You may be eligible for services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme if you are:
- 65 years or older, or 50 years or older and identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person, or 50 years or older and on a low income, homeless or at risk of homelessness
- still living at home
- in need of help at home to continue to live independently.
ALARA provides the following services under the Commonwealth Home Support Program:
- domestic assistance – helping you with cleaning, laundry, ironing and shopping
- social support on an individual basis – assistance with shopping or help to access social groups and clubs
- social support in a group - ALARA offers a great range of group activities based on shared interest, health and well-being or maintaining and enhancing skills. You can also join in on a wide range of group outings on offer.
To find out more about help available through ALARA's Commonwealth Home Support Program contact (07) 3817 0600. You can also explore your options by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services to keep client fees reasonable and affordable. If you are eligible, you are expected to contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to. You do not need an income assessment to access CHSP services and your age pension will not be affected by your contributions to the cost of your services.
Commonwealth Home Support Program Fee Schedule