Support in the Community
Community Participation and Skill Development
Need support to learn new skills, engage with your community or expand your network of friends?
ALARA will work with you to identify your strengths, interests and aspirations and to create a tailored service to suit your needs and individual funding arrangements. Support can be provided individually or ALARA can investigate shared support arrangements.
ALARA can support you to:
- Learn new skills with individual programs to build, developing or regain skills in a range of areas to ensure that you are as independent as possible
- Get organised through assistance to do your shopping, pay the bills and attend appointments
- Build on an interest by taking that passion and linking you to interest groups, courses or one of our in-house programs
- Try new things that your community has to offer
- Get healthy and active - learning to grow and cook healthy food, working out at the local gym or with a personal trainer, being a member of a sporting team, joining a walking group or using the local hydrotherapy pool
- Play sport - with the local sports team, ALARA Jets Touch Football team, ALARA Darts Team or the ALARA Megasports program
ALARA Community Spirit Volunteering Initiative
ALARA works closely with other community groups in the Ipswich, Lockyer and Somerset areas to create new opportunities for people with a disability to the involved in the life of their community and make their own unique contribution.
Many local organisations rely on committed volunteers. ALARA can assist you to identify a suitable volunteer role that matches your interests, availability and skills and provide the necessary support to make the arrangement a success.
As part of the Community Spirit initiative ALARA service participants are currently volunteering their time in a range of different ways.
Here are just a few:
- Providing visiting and reading services for children and aged care residents
- Baking for residents of nursing homes or cooking for vulnerable local people
- Delivering meals
- “Project in the Park” as part of the “Adopt a Park” scheme
- Assisting with the care of rescue animals or at animal shelters
- Helping host organizations with administration and office work
- Helping with fundraising campaigns and events